Joseph Riley served ten terms as the Mayor of Charleston, South Carolina from December 1975 to January 2016.
- Involved in major projects was pushing redevelopment of Charleston’s central business district in 1977 and 1987
- Served as President of the U.S. Conference of Mayors for 1986–1987 and currently serves on the Executive Committee
- Currently a member of the Mayors Against Illegal Guns Coalition and Board of Selectors of Jefferson Awards for Public Service
- Organized a five-day protest walk from Charleston to Columbia to promote the removal of the Confederate flag from the statehouse
- Graduated from The Citadel in 1964, and the University of South Carolina School of Law in 1967
Last updated 8/25/16