The five winners have changed the rules of standard practice and elevated issues that matter, addressing ongoing and long-term challenges faced by cities across America.
Changing the Narrative: The 2019 Rudy Bruner Award for Urban Excellence includes detailed case studies and lessons learned about the winning projects including:
- Crosstown Concourse in Memphis, TN
Rehabilitation of an abandoned Sears, Roebuck & Co. distribution center into a mixed-use vertical village and arts, education, and healthcare destination.
- Beyond Walls— Lynn, MA
Grassroots public art and lighting initiative revitalizing a former industrial city.
- Buffalo Bayou Park in Houston, TX
Enhancement of a historic waterway into a resilient public greenspace.
- Parisite Skatepark in New Orleans, LA
Youth-driven DIY creation of a new public park on vacant land beneath a highway overpass.
- Sulphur Springs Downtown in Sulphur Springs, TX
Renewal of a rural, small-town civic plaza and main street.
Lessons Learned themes include:
- Changing Attitudes, Expectations, and Perceptions About People and Places
- Innovation Is Happening in Unexpected Places
- Turning Deficits into Assets
- Practical, Replicable Design Approaches
- Addressing Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion and the Unintended Consequences of Success
- Who’s Driving Vision and Investment?